STATE TEAMS CHAMPIONSHIPS - CANBERRA
Every year Tasmania sends a team of athletes to compete at the National State Teams Championships in Canberra. This event is held at the AIS (**update venue change for 2022 to Sydney) and is a highlight of the competitive swimming calendar. It is identified as one of the most important competitions currently available to elite age group swimmers, as it develops not only performance but also team experience. Most of the current Australian junior and senior team members have come through this event.
• State Teams Championships to be held in Sydney 23-26th August 2022 (tbc).
• 28 Athletes (including up to 4 multi-class athletes)
• Selection Period - 1st January 2022 - 18 April 2022
• EOI close 14th April 2022. No late submissions will be accepted.
Please complete the Expression of Interest: https://form.jotform.com/220930747601048
Selection - Athletes
Selection is based on the needs of the team to ensure maximum potential to score points in each event at the State Teams Championships. The maximum team size is 40 (**update 5/4/2022 to 28 athletes due to change in venue & date), with no more than 10 (**update 5/4/2022 to be adjusted due to final number of athletes) swimmers in each of the relevant age groups (girls 13/14 and 15/16 and boys 14/15 and 16/17). Up to 4 multi-class athletes aged 13-17 years may also be selected.
A selection period for athletes to post times at official Short Course meets will be set: for 2021 this period is May 1 to 22 August 2021. (**update 5/4/2022 Selection Period - 1st January 2022 - 18 April 2022).
The three fastest ranked (available) swimmers in the following events, in each of the combined age groups, are considered (but not guaranteed) for selection, provided that the relevant qualifying times for the Victorian Age Short Course Championships (**update 5/4/2022 qualifying times Victorian Age Long Course Championships) have also been met:
• 50,100 & 200 backstroke
• 50,100 & 200 breaststroke
• 50,100 & 200 butterfly
• 50,100 & 200 freestyle
• 400 & 800 freestyle - female
• 400 & 1500 freestyle - male
• 200 & 400 individual medleys
Final selection is at the discretion of the State Head Coach, in consultation with the STAS Selection Committee.
To be eligible for selection an athlete must:
• Be a current registered member of Swimming Tasmania
• Compete at the Tasmanian Age Short Course Championships in the relevant year (**2021 nomination process not including SC Championships)
• Be eligible to represent Tasmania at this event
• Be aged between 13yrs and 16yrs (female) and 14yrs and 17yrs (male) as at the date of the State Teams Championship
Selection - Coaches
Coaches interested in applying for position of team coach must submit their Expression of Interest by the start of the selection period. The team Head Coach will be appointed at the beginning of the selection period, will assist Team Manager (Jo Leslie) in shaping the list for selection and will work with State Head Coach.
Team Coaches are selected on the basis of applications, with the State Head Coach, Team Manager and Team Head Coach making the selection decision(s).
2021 State Team
Congratulations to the following swimmers who were all selected to represent Tasmania at the 2021 State Teams Championships: